R5 Rocks Raleigh

R5 performing on the Memorial Auditorium stage Saturday night. | Photo: Chris White Hit band, R5, made a stop in Raleigh as...

R5 performing on the Memorial Auditorium stage Saturday night. | Photo: Chris White
Hit band, R5, made a stop in Raleigh as apart of its Sometime Last Night Tour on Saturday night.

I featured the right here just last week, and this was the first time that I'd seen the band live. It didn't disappoint. It all began with the youngest Lynch sibling, Ryland, showing off his DJ-ing skills to the sold out Memorial Auditorium crowd.



Shortly after, Jacob Whitesides took the stage to perform some tunes from his newly-released EP - my personal favorite being "Ohio." Whitesides' full band added a nice element to his set as well.

I've featured Whitesides twice before on my blog and, as I alluded to in an updated post about the singer/songwriter, it's amazing to see how far he has come since I first saw him at "The X-Factor USA" live auditions in Greensboro, N.C. in 2012. Now, Whitesides' is opening for a major tour and his performance (pictured left) came full circle to me.

Now, it's time for the main event. R5 came to stage after a very cool introduction, filled with a playing of "We Are Family," an intro video as well as the band appearing in silhouette before a curtain dropped and the set started.

R5 performed a mix of previous hit songs as well as tunes from its new album Sometime Last Night, which was released on Friday. One of those tunes being "F.E.E.L.G.O.O.D." which is my favorite from the new album and the song I featured on my post about the band last week. One of the neatest parts about the concert (pictured right) was when lead singer, Ross Lynch, sat down at a keyboard to play and sing Lady Gaga's "You and I" - no other instruments or backup vocals. This was a very cool moment for Ross to showcase his talents as an artist. There were similar moments when other members members of R5 took the spotlight, which added a very nice touch to the concert as a whole.

No doubt, this show was awesome and concertgoers got their money's worth. The concert began at 7 p.m. and lasted two-and-a-half hours. My only qualm with the show - albeit a minor one - was I wish the band had performed, arguably, one of its biggest hits "Pass Me By." It was strange that the song was left out of the setlist. Nevertheless, R5 is one band that you do not want to miss seeing live, no matter if you're 15 or 85 years old.

You Might Also Like

0 Comments

I've Moved!

You'll be redirected to the new site in a few seconds.

If that doesn't happen, please visit reflectcw.com/blog.